The time has finally come!! At least in Idaho ;) The sun has come out and I think it is going to stay for awhile!!!
This week my husband had a fishing day with his students. He decided he would take our four year old along with him. I thought this would be the perfect day to test out our Homemade All Natural Sunscreen!! My boys would be out in the HOT sun ALL DAY!
Are you ready for the ingredients?!
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup Meadowfoam Carrier Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut Carrier Oil
- 1-5 Tbsp Beeswax (will depend on how thick you want it)
- 2-4 Tbsp Zinc Oxide (be careful not to inhale the powder) 10% corresponds to an SPF of about 6-11
- 2 Tbsp Shea Butter (optional)
- Jar for melting ingredients together
- Bottle to store it in ( I just used an old hotel shampoo bottle)
- (We used to have essential oils but after the advice of Plant Therapy’s expert, we have removed all essential oils. There is not enough research to show that essential oils help with sunscreen and carrier oils are known to be a lot better to use for sunscreen.)
Combine all ingredients except Zinc Oxide in a jar. Fill a medium size saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat. Put the jar in the water and melt the ingredients together. Use a wooden stick to stir ingredients while melting. After ingredients have melted add the Zinc Oxide. Stir occasionally while it’s cooling to make sure the Zinc Oxide gets mixed in!
Apply every hour or so. The sunscreen is somewhat waterproof because of the beeswax but you will still need to apply after being in water.
My husband applied this sunscreen on our sons face 2 times between 10-2. I took a picture of his face when he got home and then a picture of his legs where there was no sunscreen applied.
- There might be some concern about the zinc oxide. In my research, I have made a decision to use it. As long as you don’t inhale the powder when mixing, use a mask, it is fine to use in your sunscreen.
- I do not know the SPF of this sunscreen and will not pretend that I do. It worked for my son and that is what I care about. You will have to test it out and see if it works for you. The more Zinc Oxide you use the stronger the SPF. All of the ingredients I have chosen have a natural SPF.
- For best results, apply sunscreen every hour!
- If you have any questions LET US KNOW!!!!
***Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog. Enter your email address on the right hand side at Follow Our Blog!